Firefighters roped off a busy street by the South Bank after finding a gas leak in a South Bank building formerly home to ITV.
The London Fire Brigade was called out at about 5.30pm on Monday (November 9) to the site on Upper Ground, which the TV company sold to Japanese developers Mitsubishi Estate in 2019.
A six-inch gas main in the basement of a television studio under refurbishment had ruptured. There were no reports of any injuries but 90 people were evacuated.
Station Commander Matt Williams, who was at the scene, said: “Road closures were in place whilst firefighters worked with partners to isolate the gas leak and make the scene safe.
“Around 90 people were evacuated from the site and neighbouring properties and a 25 metre cordon was put in place as a precaution.”
Firefighters were called at 5.27pm and the incident was over by 21:35. Three fire engines from Dowgate, Soho and Tooting fire stations and three fire rescue units from Euston, Bethnal Green and Bexley fire stations attended the scene.