A former Sunday school teacher died from an accidental overdose, a coroner concluded last week.
Mystery surrounded the death of 48-year-old Debbie Watts after she fell unconscious in her flat in Chandler Way, Peckham on May 29.
At Southwark Coroner’s Court on Thursday last week, Assistant Coroner Lorna Taglianvini concluded that Debbie had died from an unintentional drug overdose involving a cocktail of prescription medications.
Speaking to the News, Ms Tagliavini added that there was no indication Debbie had intended to harm herself or take her own life.
Debbie’s partner of eight years, Jamie Bromfield, 49, told the News after her death that he suspected she may have taken too many prescription drugs to help relieve the tooth ache she was suffering from.
Although Debbie was addicted to heroin for twenty years she had been clean for the last fifteen years.
Thanks to hundreds of pounds donated by both friends and strangers, Debbie’s long-term partner, Jamie Bromfield, 47, was able to arrange a funeral service at Honor Oak Crematorium at the end of last month.
Debbie’s neighbour, Lucy Cope, who has known her for years said after her death it was like a light had gone out in our street. She said:?“She was a lovely, free-spirited lady and she’ll be sadly missed by all of us. The whole neighbourhood is in shock.”