A 28-year-old man has pleaded guilty to rape and kidnap after attacking two women in Borough.
Wilfred Marodza, of Kingston Road, Eastbourne, pleaded guilty at Inner London Crown Court yesterday (Monday, September 2).
His first victim, a 21-year-old woman, had been walking home on Great Dover Street shortly after 2.30am on Saturday, July 20 after a night out.
The court heard that she was approached from behind by Marodza, and marched to a nearby wooded area – where she was threatened and raped multiple times.
The woman managed to escape and ran to a nearby street where a passing motorist stopped.
Marodza is said to have told the motorist they were having a domestic argument, before the victim got into the car and was taken to a local police station.
The victim was so traumatised, said police, she ran into an adjacent fast food restaurant, whose staff called officers.
Only an hour later, a second woman, aged 25, was waiting for a bus on Borough High Street when she was approached by Marodza.
He began speaking to her by offering to escort her to a cab office, heard the court, but soon grabbed her and pulled her into a side street.
He then threatened her, telling her to do as she was told, before pushing her to ground. The victim screamed and Marodza fled the scene.
An urgent investigation by the Met meant Marodza was identified and arrested later that same day.
He was charged on Wednesday, 24 July and remanded in custody.
Despite mobile phone and CCTV evidence linking him to the attacks, Marodza had answered ‘no comment’ during interviews about his offences.
“These two young women were subjected to ordeals that no person should ever have to endure. Marodza is a dangerous predator whose actions left both victims in fear of their lives,” said investigating officer Detective Constable Jonny Norman.
“Marodza will now, I hope, face a substantial amount of time behind bars, and I am sure London will be all the safer for it.
“I would like to thank the investigative team who worked tirelessly to track and arrest Marodza.
“Most importantly I would like to thank the victims, whose bravery and courage in supporting our investigation has been instrumental. I hope that, in time, this will allow them some form of closure and that they can begin to move on with their lives.”
Marodza pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, one count of kidnap in relation to the second attack, and one count of committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence.
The “dangerous predator” pleaded not guilty to one count of kidnap in relation to the first attack.